Tuesday, February 6, 2007

The Secret Origin of Ipis Dei

I came up with the monicker "Ipis Dei" by accident, when I mis-typed the phrase "Opus Dei" ("I" being right next to both "O" and "U" on the standard keyboard). And so the staunch disciplinarian arm of the Church was transformed by the power of crappy typing into the Cockroach of God*, a divine creature blessed with preternatural survival instincts. The biological heir to our future atomic wasteland! If all that dispensationalist sci-fi about being Left Behind post-Rapture holds any weight, i'll bet you dollars to donuts there will still be roaches crawling about in the mess.

I've developed quite a strong affection for my handle. There's something undeniably representative of the Filipino burgis mentality in the idea of self-righteousness tempered by filth, or alternatively, bottom-feeding scavengers elevated to the level of Godhood. (And believe me, I mean that in the nicest way possible.)

Anyway, you could not imagine how validated I felt to discover -- in Giant Robot magazine, of all places! -- this painting by US-based Manila-based (thanks, LG!) artist Manuel Ocampo:


Virgin Destroyer (Ipis Ni Lupe)
1995
acrylic paint on muslin
60 x 40 in.
[source]


On a semi-related note, I'm actually lagging behind on my roach-themed pop culture. Of course, I've seen Joe's Apartment -- own a VCD copy, actually -- but I'm not sure whether I want to put up with the full-on existential wank of Kafka's seminal Metamorphosis. (Maybe it would be more engaging as a Peter Kuper comic?)

Oh, and I keep forgetting to ask Matthew to burn me a copy of Bad Mojo, although he tells me the arcade-style game interface might just frustrate me, given my poor dexterity, and impatience with manouvering characters into key positions. (Okay, that just sounded wrong.)

I am vaguely curious about the new ongoing Verigo series, Exterminators, which the solicitations have described as "the Six Feet Under of pest control", or something like that. (Although initial reviews suggest otherwise, for better or worse.)


* "ipis" means "cockroach" in Tagalog, if you hadn't figured it out yet