Friday, February 2, 2007

Those Indifferent Clocks

re-posted from approximately one year ago, with some minor edits



This fine timepiece set me back a mere P250 (approx. US$4.50) from some non-descript little store in Goldcrest arcade, some time in late 2005. It's now the cornerstone of my half-assed effort to cultivate a self-conscious fashion style that I like to refer to as 'tatang-core', or 'Lolo chic'. (Yes, it's sort of an extension of the whole "old man" gimmick Seth Cohen was using during the Palm Springs espisode in The O.C. season 1, but minus the smug irony -- I've embraced the whole-hearted conclusion that grand-dad couture genuinely rocks.)

The deets: it pops open to reveal a standard Quartz clock-face with a pleasantly gaudy faux-Victorian font. It comes with a functional chain that could never be mistaken for an outdated "skater wallet". The front side has a vintage 1913 Mercedes wagon design, matched by a generic floral pattern on the back. And the copper body matches well alongside khaki pants or corduroys.

The watch runs on easy-to-replace pellet-type flat batteries. Thus far, it shows no hints of conking out *crosses fingers* The battery is dead. It's the flat, digital type normally associated with 80s electronics. Let's hope it still works, once I get around to changing it.

I've got it synchronized with the sales floor at my workpace. And I must confess, I get some tiny irrational amusement from using a mock-antique pocketwatch to keep time with the droll but oh-so-contemporary task of processing applications for high-interest credit cards.